- Versatile leader, known for building solid and effective relationships across multiple disciplines, from senior management to staff.
- A broad multidisciplinary perspective with emphasis on semiconductors, clean technologies, solar energy, and materials science; knowledge of energy storage, water purification, high-throughput materials discovery and analysis, and electrical grid technologies.
- Skilled decision maker and problem solver in complex situations involving competing priorities.
- Successfully led multiple technology development efforts including the 60MW CIGS pilot line for First Solar, 20MW a‑Si:H pilot line for Optisolar, and hybrid bonding at SMIC and the Fraunhofer Society.
- Spearheaded effort to secure Department of Energy funding for a photovoltaic technology incubator program. Program demonstrated world record efficiency, 28.2%.
- Established First Solar California CdTe R&D laboratory on time managing through transition.
- Articulated new product paradigm for integrated sensors, and effectively demonstrated viability of new business opportunities. Pioneered world-class a-Si:H elevated photodiode sensor array for CMOS image sensors. Invented strategies for mitigating sensor artifacts.
- Associate Editor for Clean Energy and Sustainable Technologies, MRS Advances.
- Authored 40 publications including 2 review articles, and 49 issued patents.
Lead technology development programs for high density interconnect 3D integrated circuit stacking. Responsible for new recurring revenue, and improving high-density interconnect bonding capabilities.
- Developed robust processes and technology plan to commercialize zero-clearance nanostructured wafer bonding for hybrid bonding of high-density interconnect for 3D integrated circuits.
- Managing six-site international program. Partners include government research laboratories, high-volume manufacturers, and process specialists.
- Successfully completed programs to three 200 mm wafer fabrication facilities.
Clean energy technology analysis and management consultancy, with expertise in commercialization, and scaling.
- Assessing feasibility and providing strategic guidance for new photovoltaic technologies.
- Strategic alignment consulting for Department of Energy and partners.
- Developed framework for technology manufacturability and decision analyses.
Led strategic solid-state electrolyte development program for lithium batteries. Assembled commercialization team and effectively managed program risk against technical and resource challenges. Provided corporate vision on roll-to-roll research strategy.
- Demonstrated scalability and record-low room-temperature ASR of novel solid-state electrolyte.
- Reduced thermal load by 80%, filed 4 invention disclosures.
Established thin-film solar energy research laboratory; set vision for staff and subordinate management, identified and aligned priorities, created and executed strategic and operational plans. Managed construction, procurement, lab priorities, and site responsibilities. Resolved complex issues regarding program mission and operational priorities for large-scale 60MW research program. Aligned priorities and assured communications for internal and external programs.
- Led organization through transition to start up CdTe research laboratory, on-time and under budget ($10 Million).
- Managed complex external research programs ($6 Million), successfully realigned.
- Drove improvements to surpass program milestones for full-scale production rate line efficiency (goal 10%), 70% yield (goal 60%), average panel efficiency over 11% (goal 9%) for a 48-hour period, hero cell efficiency of 16%, (goal 13%).
- Led CIGS integration effort to overcome 6-month schedule deficit.
Developed curriculum and taught new graduate course in photovoltaic manufacturing technology.
- Course included general Materials Science and Chemical Engineering concepts along with current topics in photovoltaic manufacturing for all major module technologies.
- Principal advisor for graduate student thesis research.
Developed vision and secured funding for cell fabrication program for high efficiency GaAs thin-film technology. Directed program effectively to meet contractual obligations.
- Spearheaded effort to secure a $3 Million NREL photovoltaic technology funding. Was one of four successful grantees out of 100 applicants.
- Created anti-reflective coating for high efficiency GaAs cells; used in NREL-verified world-record single-junction solar cell (efficiency: 28.2%).
Led complex product development program, developed priorities, managed staffing and team operations. Maintained and adjusted alignment through communication with management and subordinates.
- Delivered dual junction (h~7.5%) module product above target and on time.
- Improved organization efficiency, reduced development time by 50% and errors by 75%.
Co-Founder, API Technologies, Inc., 2005-2009. Motion sensor technology firm. Developed and prototyped CMOS sensor concepts. Created Verilog models, assisted in tapeouts. Sold to Elan Microelectronics in 2013. Annual revenue $12M/year.
Developed performance improvement project for AlInGaP and InGaN LEDs, and solid state lighting. Implemented root cause studies to discover sources of yield loss. Leveraged domestic and international (Malaysia) resources to reduce manufacturing response time. Led electroplating procurement efforts. Aligned and maintained priorities for programs across multiple sites.
- Improved AlInGaP yields by 20% over 6 months.
- Drove 65% standard setting die shrink program for InGaN LEDs.
Pioneered world-class CMOS imager photodiode array from concept and transferred to production. Aligned technical priorities to speed product commercialization. Articulated vision for new product paradigm leveraging wafer fabrication facilities for integrated instruments, and led development of new business opportunities. Responsible for low‑k ILD for 0.18 μm CMOS for Intel joint venture and industry advisory board representative. Familiar with all aspects of interconnect processes and process integration.
- Invented three cost-free solutions for mitigating critical artifacts in imagers.
- Advocated and developed multiple sensor technology opportunities. One technology forms basis for AFM product.
- Pioneered elevated thin-film photodiode array. Invented high-rate low-defect a-Si:H deposition process (30 Å/s), and low leakage p-i-n diode (10 pA/cm2).
- Developed vendor evaluation process adopted by business divisions.
- Associate Editor for Clean Energy and Sustainable Technologies, MRS Advances (2016-present).
- Technical Committee Member, 3DIC, International Wafer Level Packaging Conference, IWLPC (2017-present).
- Treasurer, Silicon Valley Photovoltaics Society (2016-present).
- Meeting Chair, Spring 2015 Materials Research Society Conference (2015).
- Symposium Chair, MRS Symposium on Monolithic Instruments (2005, 2007).
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A (1999-2002).